Smart Storage Systems Debuts First 2 TB SAS SSD With 19 nm MLC Flash

By - Source: TechPowerUp | B 20 comments

Smart Storage systems has released some SSDs aimed at enterprise environments which boast some impressive capacities.

Smart Systems Storage has released its 2 TB SAS Optimus Eco SSD, which is the first SSD in the world to pack 19 nm MLC flash and boast a 2 TB capacity through an SAS interface. The purpose of these SSDs is to dramatically reduce the total cost of ownership due to cheaper MLC flash.

The units are built using the Guardian Technology Platform, which is a suite of features that ensure that the drives can deliver up to ten drive writes per day for an extended period of time. The units also boast read and write speeds of 500 MB/s sequential, with 100K read IOPS and 45K write IOPS. The drives also feature hardware support for 256-bit AES encryption.

"This announcement marks the beginning of a new era in flash storage. We are bringing the cost effectiveness of 19nm flash to a high performance enterprise SAS SSD platform, without compromising on endurance or reliability. This unprecedented combination will enable storage architects and data center managers to design high performance, high reliability, high available storage systems while reducing costs, and minimizing TCO,"said  Mike Lakowicz, VP of sales and marketing at Smart Storage Systems.

The drives will be available in capacities from 200 GB through 2 TB. So far, only the price of the 2 TB version is known, which is $3,999. The Optimus Eco SSDs will be available starting June 2013.

Display 20 Comments.
This thread is closed for comments
  • 2 Hide
    drwho1 , May 5, 2013 8:14 PM
    $4000 is going to sell like hot cakes!!!
    /sarcasm
    let me know when they get to $200-$300 dollar range, until then hot cakes have nothing to worry about.
    [insert mischief face here]
  • -2 Hide
    brythespy , May 5, 2013 8:44 PM
    Buy four 512 SSD's for a quarter of that price...
  • 1 Hide
    halcyon , May 5, 2013 9:59 PM
    Quote:
    Buy four 512 SSD's for a quarter of that price...

    Where can we buy a 512GB SSD for the $250 you've advertised?
  • -2 Hide
    purrcatian , May 6, 2013 3:18 AM
    Quote:

    Where can we buy a 512GB SSD for the $250 you've advertised?

    eBay. Some have been selling for as low as $200.
  • -1 Hide
    NightLight , May 6, 2013 4:11 AM
    most small businesses don't even spend 4k on an entire server.
  • 1 Hide
    CaedenV , May 6, 2013 4:35 AM
    Quote:
    most small businesses don't even spend 4k on an entire server.

    This is obviously not for them. It is obviously not for you or me either.
    However, in the corporate world where high endurance HDDs cost upwards of $800 for 600GB, and it is very difficult (if not impossible) to find a high endurance drive over 1TB (especially in a 2.5" form factor) this is nothing short of a miracle drive.
    In short, an SSD like this allows for massive drive performance with less numbers of drives, or insane capacity in a very small form factor (likely both for those in the market for this). For systems like multi-user video editing servers where you can literally have dozons of drives in order to meet the performance and storage requirements of the system, you could replace all of your drives with a much simpler 4-10 drive setup.

    Still, I cannot wait for this type of drive to be consumerized so that I can have an all SSD system and get rid of my last 2 HDDs in the house.
  • 0 Hide
    halcyon , May 6, 2013 5:04 AM
    Quote:
    Quote:

    Where can we buy a 512GB SSD for the $250 you've advertised?

    eBay. Some have been selling for as low as $200.

    Aaaah, good 'ole eBay. I've never purchased from there but if these are new drives with the same return policies that you'd find at a reputable retailer then woot! ...good deals to be had indeed!
  • 1 Hide
    mapesdhs , May 6, 2013 5:13 AM
    It never ceases to amaze me that so few seem to appreciate the
    difference between consumer and Enterprise markets. As CaedenV says,
    for Enterprise customers this is a superb product, I'm sure it will
    sell very well indeed. The article headline made it clear this product
    is not aimed at consumers; comments from the latter about pricing and
    eBay are irrelevant.

    Re small businesses, I know of a few who survive on old 2nd-hand
    hardware (by that mean typically P4 era tech at best, maybe
    Core/Core2); over time I've helped them out with replacement SCSI
    drives, etc., but I always tell them buying on the cheap is a false
    economy in the long term as it provides marginal growth potential, and
    they're always operating on the edge of reliability. Too many small
    businesses operate on the assumption that cheapest is always best;
    they seem oblivious to the concept of long term TCO (eg. long term
    power usage of old tech often wipes out the apparent upfront cost
    saving). Usually, the sysadmins understand and agree, but they're not
    the ones making the decisions. And don't even get me started on small
    business backup strategies... :\

    Ian.
  • 0 Hide
    CaedenV , May 6, 2013 6:28 AM
    Quote:
    It never ceases to amaze me that so few seem to appreciate the
    difference between consumer and Enterprise markets. As CaedenV says,
    for Enterprise customers this is a superb product, I'm sure it will
    sell very well indeed. The article headline made it clear this product
    is not aimed at consumers; comments from the latter about pricing and
    eBay are irrelevant.

    Re small businesses, I know of a few who survive on old 2nd-hand
    hardware (by that mean typically P4 era tech at best, maybe
    Core/Core); over time I've helped them out with replacement SCSI
    drives, etc., but I always tell them buying on the cheap is a false
    economy in the long term as it provides marginal growth potential, and
    they're always operating on the edge of reliability. Too many small
    businesses operate on the assumption that cheapest is always best;
    they seem oblivious to the concept of long term TCO (eg. long term
    power usage of old tech often wipes out the apparent upfront cost
    saving). Usually, the sysadmins understand and agree, but they're not
    the ones making the decisions. And don't even get me started on small
    business backup strategies... :\

    Ian.

    Out my way I am seeing more and more businesses finally understanding that old equipment really dosn't work well for them in the long run (especially used drives). But the sticker shock of newer server equipment is still a bit much for them, so instead I am seeing them get mid to high end consumer equipment, and using that as their server. It is not the best solution, but if a company just needs a system that stores/shares files across a network then I guess it works. At least it is a step above used server grade equipment, and more and more businesses are actuially using RAID instead of single drives... *sigh*
  • 0 Hide
    mavroxur , May 6, 2013 6:35 AM
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Buy four 512 SSD's for a quarter of that price...

    Where can we buy a 512GB SSD for the $250 you've advertised?

    A quarter of $3,900 is $250? Where did you go to school?
  • 0 Hide
    halcyon , May 6, 2013 7:19 AM
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Buy four 512 SSD's for a quarter of that price...

    Where can we buy a 512GB SSD for the $250 you've advertised?

    A quarter of $3,900 is $250? Where did you go to school?

    Everyone else reading the thread was able to read the comment, do the math, and discern the content except for you. So I'll break it down:

    brythespy said:
    "Buy four 512 SSD's for a quarter of that price..."

    4 * X = $1000 ($1000 is a quarter of that price. That price is ~$4000 per the article)
    What is X? 4 / $1000 = $250 ... X = $250

    "Do you see a man who speaks in haste? There is more hope for a fool than for him.
    - Proverbs 29:20"
  • 0 Hide
    jaber2 , May 6, 2013 9:32 AM
    Yeah, the ones on eBay look legit, I am sure they have the same specs, but cereal this isn't for you and me.
  • 0 Hide
    roboto4k , September 27, 2013 11:27 AM
    okay. i use samsung f4's in a 3 disk raid 0 array, with 32k and short stroked at 50 percent. my fourth drive is used to back up the array and stays disconnected. my sequential reads are 440 MBs. it might be faster if i wasnt using my mobo raid chipset. its not power efficient but its cost effective. $360 for 3tb of data. not including whats lost to short stroking and the 3tb for back up. bought everything off ebay used. the only way an ssd is practical, is in a laptop or HTPC.
  • 0 Hide
    roboto4k , September 27, 2013 11:31 AM
    i meant ....the only way an ssd is practical for the average consumer is in a laptop or an HTPC. who needs to read and write a half gig a second, that doesnt do audio, video, or run a server.
  • 0 Hide
    mapesdhs , September 30, 2013 6:31 AM

    roboto4k, it's not the high sequential numbers from SSDs that really matter for
    a desktop; it's the much higher 4K performance. This is what makes an SSD-
    based system so much more responsive, boots faster, launches apps quicker,
    and doesn't slow down when a virus scan is active (among other things). Even
    a basic SSD such as an older 120GB Vertex2E can breathe a whole new lease
    of life to an older dual-core AM2/S775 system.

    Read SSD reviewws & articles, it isn't sequential I/O where SSDs really shine
    compared to mechanical drives, even though they offer higher sequential
    rates aswell. 4K performance is what matters, and mechanical drives suck for
    that, even in a RAID (unless the RAID controller has some cache RAM; I've
    tested numerous RAID cards with SAS/SATA/SCSI).

    Try running the AS-SSD benchmark on your RAID0, you'll see what I mean.

    Ian.

  • 0 Hide
    roboto4k , September 30, 2013 7:39 AM
    i agree. oh and for the record i was speaking of sata SSDs. i have no experience with the PCIe RAM drives. those are actually becoming affordable now. i dont know how reliable they will be after a couple of years. my original point was really about performance vs gb per dollar. you cant beat RAID 0 with 3 disk that have 64mb cache each. Porn for me is listening to my array rip through massive video files like a chainsaw. my killer app is video conversion; taking peoples decade old analog tapes that have been sitting in their garage and digitizing, scrubbing, and editing them. IT IS an artform. it takes serious cpu and hard drive space. i would never switch to ssd for that purpose.

    my first few SSDs that i bought a few years ago have degraded to the point that they are no faster than 250 gb HDDs. now i use them as giant USB jump drives. SSDs degrade in terribly inconsistant ways. i am aware of the newwer technology that prevents this on high end models. in addition the overall failure rate of mainstream SSDs is still too high right now.

    im not one to crack open the wallet for bleeding edge technology but dont get me wrong now. my wifes gaming whitebook will have dual SSDs in RAID 10 but thats a laptop. and shhh, dont tell her. its for xmas.
  • 0 Hide
    mapesdhs , September 30, 2013 8:47 AM

    roboto4k writes:
    > i agree. oh and for the record i was speaking of sata SSDs. i have
    > no experience with the PCIe RAM drives. those are actually becoming
    > affordable now. ...

    Indeed, PCIe SSDs just push the performance numbers even higher. :D

    Then there are FC/IB connected devices which scale to crazy levels, eg.
    I know someone who runs a RamSan620 which does over 250K IOPS for 4K
    random (3GB/sec read and 2GB/sec write sequential), and this is an
    older model. Very expensive, but the performance is ideal for their
    needs (movie company; perfect for database indices, logs, metadata, etc.)

    > ... i dont know how reliable they will be after a couple of years. ...

    Early products, especially those aimed at the 'prosumer' market, had
    a mixed reputation, but they've improved a lot. Now of course there
    are numerous Enterprise models with high reliability features. There's
    really no need for any ordinary user to have a PCIe SSD though, the
    gains over a standard good SATA model would be minimal and barely
    noticeable. My own tests showed what any review will confirm - the biggest
    difference is in having any kind of SSD at all; beyond that, the differences
    between the various models of SSD are less significant, something PCMark7
    shows quite nicely even when synthetic bench numbers may vary somewhat more.

    > my original point was really about performance vs gb per dollar. ...

    True, but I'm sure some would point out the obvious risks with RAID0.
    One bad drive and you've lost the lot (backups are key for avoiding
    sleepless nights with RAID0). This is why I much prefer RAID10, ie.
    combine the speed of RAID0 with the redundancy of RAID1. My 3930K AE
    setup has 4 x 2TB Enterprise SATA in RAID10. I personally wouldn't
    risk consumer SATA in RAID0 (thus, before I obtained the Enterprise
    SATA drives, I was using 4x 600GB 15K SAS).

    > Porn for me is listening to my array rip through massive video files
    > like a chainsaw. my killer app is video conversion; taking peoples
    > decade old analog tapes that have been sitting in their garage and
    > digitizing, scrubbing, and editing them. IT IS an artform. ...

    I have a similar project on the go, more than a thousand documentaries
    on VHS to digitise. :D

    > takes serious cpu and hard drive space. i would never switch to ssd
    > for that purpose.

    You probably don't need to. Video conversion is mostly larger size
    transfers and, depending on the type of conversion, may not benefit
    from the performance potential of SSDs, especially since the bottleneck
    during processing is much more likely to be the main CPU (tests might
    show a moderate gain with SSDs, but not as much as just having more CPU
    power instead). This is certainly the case if you're editing with Flame
    (I have an SGI Tezro for that, and a 16-CPU Onyx350 with Inferno).

    However, the general responsiveness, etc. of any system will be better
    with an SSD as the system drive. At a minimum, even moving the virtual
    memory onto an SSD can help. For AE, it makes a huge difference to have
    the AE cache on an SSD, but that's because of the way AE works.

    > my first few SSDs that i bought a few years ago have degraded to the

    Older models certainly suffered in various ways, and early 4K write
    performance was poor in some cases. That's all been fixed now. Much
    improved designs. It's a different field today entirely.

    > point that they are no faster than 250 gb HDDs. ...

    Secure erase should fix that, unless of course the write endurance has
    been used up.

    Older models did not have the overall capacity to allow for much
    over-provisioning, whereas newer models have plenty, and manufacturers
    often include a lot of extra capacity anyway, eg. a 256GB SSD might have
    well over 300GB actual Flash inside. This is why I waited for SSDs to
    reach at least 60GB before buying them, by which time they'd matured
    quite a bit and I found the improvements well worth the investment,
    speeds more than doubled for the tasks I have to do many times a day,
    eg. searching my email archive (which is not on a PC btw, hence the
    speedup being limited to a 100% improvement, system in question is an
    older UNIX machine with U160 SCSI and an LSI 3442X-R SAS card). Eventually
    I upgraded my gaming PC to SSDs (120GB Vertex3 for boot drive, 120GB
    Vertex3 MAX IOPS for game data) and that really did help with level

    > i am aware of the newwer technology that prevents this on high end

    Much of this tech is now on all modern models, though with certain
    exceptions. I avoid the cheaper obscure brands.

    > ... in addition the overall failure rate of mainstream SSDs is
    > still too high right now.

    Peoples' experiences of this seem to vary wildly. I have loads of them
    and so far not one of them has gone wrong. I think many don't bother
    updating the firmware when they first buy a drive, which is a mistake.

    > im not one to crack open the wallet for bleeding edge technology but

    Nor me. I bag them off eBay whenever I can. :D  In the past week I've
    won a Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (new), Samsung 840 Pro 512GB (new), OCZ
    Vertex4 128GB (refurb), and a few others.

    > dont get me wrong now. my wifes gaming whitebook will have dual SSDs
    > in RAID 10 but thats a laptop. ...

    I assume you mean RAID1. RAID10 would require at least four devices.

    > ... and shhh, dont tell her. its for xmas.

    I wouldn't dare. :D

    Btw, here's some tests I did earlier this year with a SATA2-based P55 setup:

    http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/misc/ssd_tests.txt

    Not done the same tests with a SATA3 setup yet though (which of course
    should show even larger speedups for some of the SSDs), not had the time.
    Also have a bunch of new models not yet included (Samsung 840 Pro 128/256/512,
    Vector 256GB, Vertex4 128/256, etc.) Never enough hours in the day... :}

    Ian.

  • 0 Hide
    roboto4k , September 30, 2013 10:24 AM
    Oh no... leason 1 ...for anyone else reading
    no refurbished drives
    no red or green drives
    and no preassembled external drives.

    used off ebay. go for it. a year old performance drive at half the price. hell yah. oh and i did mean raid 1 for the laptop. im still adjusting to my new qwerty cell. and as far as my raid 0 array crashing. if it does i just disconnect it and plug in the cloned backed up 3tb drive. the worse thing that would happen is i might have to play the last couple levels of mass effect over. oh boo hoo . lol.

    im getting off topic. so im gonna find a thread abt those delicious looking 21:9 monitors w the 144hz refresh rate and some info on chipsets.
  • 0 Hide
    roboto4k , September 30, 2013 10:24 AM
    Oh no... leason 1 ...for anyone else reading
    no refurbished drives
    no red or green drives
    and no preassembled external drives.

    used off ebay. go for it. a year old performance drive at half the price. hell yah. oh and i did mean raid 1 for the laptop. im still adjusting to my new qwerty cell. and as far as my raid 0 array crashing. if it does i just disconnect it and plug in the cloned backed up 3tb drive. the worse thing that would happen is i might have to play the last couple levels of mass effect over. oh boo hoo . lol.

    im getting off topic. so im gonna find a thread abt those delicious looking 21:9 monitors w the 144hz refresh rate and some info on chipsets.
  • 0 Hide
    mapesdhs , September 30, 2013 11:50 AM

    roboto4k writes:
    > no refurbished drives

    If I get a refurb, it's only from a good seller such as novatech, or where the
    unit is still sealed from the manufacturer, eg. a Vertex4 128GB I bought recently,
    still sealed, refurb from OCZ, shows up in SMART data as being completely unused.
    I'm using it as a cache drive for AE.

    no red or green drives
    and no preassembled external drives.

    > ... cloned backed up 3tb drive. ...

    Cunning plan. 8) Indeed, that's what I tell people, if they have RAID0, then just
    clone to some other large capacity drive on a regular basis.

    > effect over. oh boo hoo . lol.

    8D

    > im getting off topic. so im gonna find a thread abt those delicious looking 21:9
    > monitors w the 144hz refresh rate and some info on chipsets.

    Hehe, enjoy... :)

    Ian.

    PS. You can delete your duplicate post by accessing the thread on the .co.uk site.
    For main articles, go to this page and choose the thread you want, then select
    Newest to skip the older comments:

    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum-56.html