Our CPU overclock becomes far less relevant in a GPU-bottlenecked game like Battlefield 3, where the very similar Radeon HD 7970 and GeForce GTX 670 remain close together. Both systems are capable of serving up more than 40 FPS, on average, at 2560x1600 with the Ultra quality preset selected. That's an excellent result.
Skyrim is clearly limited by processor performance. The overclocked Core i5-3570K in today's build scores an easy win in a number of settings. It's really only when you hit the Ultra detail preset at 2560x1600, where graphics demands take center stage, that the platform's impact wanes.
- Don's $1000 Machine Is Here To Play
- CPU, Motherboard, And Cooler
- Video Card, Power Supply, And Case
- Memory, Hard Drives, And Optical Drive
- System Assembly And Overclocking
- Test System And Benchmarks
- Benchmark Results: Synthetics
- Benchmark Results: Media Encoding
- Benchmark Results: Productivity
- Benchmark Results: Battlefield 3 And The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Benchmark Results: DiRT 3 And StarCraft II
- Power And Temperature Benchmarks
- Core i5-3570K And GeForce GTX 670 Are Potent