Lame and OGG love the higher CPU clock speed, but ignore the extra two processing cores.
As with the midrange build, DivX gives a disproportionate gain to the four-core processor of the current system, while XviD gets its boost from clock speed only.
3D Studio Max gets twice the performance by doubling the number of cores, at least when a slight clock speed boost is also part of the equation.
- System Builder Marathon September: The Articles
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850
- Motherboard: Asus Striker Extreme
- Memory: 2x 1 GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400
- Graphics Cards: Two Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX In SLI
- Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS
- Hard Drives: Two Western Digital Caviar WD7500AAKS
- ATX Case And Cooling: Thermaltake Armor LCS
- Power Supply: Ultra Products X3 1000W Modular PSU
- Optical Drive: "Samsung" SH-203B
- Builder's Notes: You'd Think This Stuff Would Work Together?
- Builder's Notes, Continued
- Test Setup
- Benchmark Results
- Synthetics, Continued
- Conclusion, Continued