Apple iTune and LAME MP3 are both single-threaded workloads. I might have expected an Ivy Bridge-E-based CPU running at 4.6 GHz (through Turbo Boost) to lead a 4.5 GHz processor employing Intel's Haswell architecture, but frequency isn't the only variable affecting performance. Haswell gives Intel's Core i7-4770K a big enough IPC advantage to carve out a small lead.
Don't expect the same outcome from applications optimized for threading, though. In those titles, extra processing resources will come into play and further improve the Ivy Bridge-E design's relative performance.
Lower is better when it comes to encoding times, and the previous build’s two additional cores give it a significant advantage in our threaded HandBrake and TotalCode Studio benchmarks.
- Our High-End Build Evolves
- Graphics, CPU, And Memory
- Motherboard, Case, And Power
- CPU And Motherboard Cooling
- An Alphabet Soup Of Storage: SSD, HDD, And ODD
- Hardware Installation
- Test Hardware And Benchmark Settings
- Results: 3DMark And PCMark
- Results: SiSoftware Sandra
- Results: Battlefield 4 And Far Cry 3
- Results: Grid 2 And Arma 3
- Results: Audio And Video Encoding
- Results: Adobe Creative Suite
- Results: Productivity
- Results: File Compression
- Power, Heat, And Efficiency
- A Gaming Build That Works Hard