Here we go, this is what we wanted! Our streaming reads benchmark was set to a 4 MB block size, which makes sure that the 16 drives using a 256 KB stripe should be fully utilized. We measured a maximum throughput of 2.23 GB/s--more than the 24 Samsung SSDs reached in the promotional video.
Reading or writing doesn’t matter much. Our test system with the 16 Intel X25-E flash SSDs is capable of sustaining the measured 2.23 GB/s for both operation types.
We also tried several other block sizes way below and above the selected 4 MB, but this was the setting that yielded the best performance on our configuration.
- Flash SSDs + RAID = Mind-Blowing Storage Performance
- Drives: Intel X25-E 64 GB SSD
- Controllers And Setup: Adaptec RAID 5805
- Array Creation, Part 1: The Controller Level
- Array Creation, Part 2: The Operating System Level
- Test Setup Table
- Benchmark Results: I/O Performance
- Benchmark Results: Throughput