Colorful Unchains GeForce GT 1010 With DDR4 to Rival iGPUs

Colorful GeForce GT 1010
Colorful GeForce GT 1010 (Image credit: VideoCardz)

Do you know what's slower than a GeForce GT 1010? A GeForce GT 1010 with DDR4 memory. As reported by VideoCardz (opens in new tab), Colorful has quietly launched one, which may perform equally or even worse than modern integrated graphics.

The GeForce GT 1010 is one of the graphics cards that almost nobody knows about. Nvidia released the GeForce GT 1010 last year using a five-year-old GP108 (Pascal) die. Nvidia also uses the GP108 inside the "faster" GeForce GT 1030 and the chipmaker's mobile GeForce MX-series, such as the GeForce MX330 or MX250. While the GP108 silicon houses up to 384 CUDA cores, the GeForce GT 1010 only has access to 256 of them. Nvidia reserves the full-fledged GP108 die for GeForce GT 1030.

There are two versions of the GeForce GT 1010. Both retain the same 256 CUDA cores, 2GB of memory, and 64-bit memory interface. However, they feature different memory chips. One variant leverages GDDR5 memory clocked at 6 Gbps for a memory bandwidth up to 48 GBps, whereas the other variant uses DDR4 at 2.1 Gbps for just 16 GBps.

As with any entry-level graphics card, Colorful's offering sticks to a single-slot design with a feeble heatsink that barely covers half of its PCB. A slight cooling fan is in charge of active cooling. The Colorful GeForce GT 1010 has a 1,151 MHz base clock and a 1,379 MHz boost clock with a TDP rating of just 20W. Even the GeForce MX230, which has the same amount of CUDA cores, boasts higher clock speeds. Unfortunately, the GeForce GT 1010 DDR4 utilizes recycled dies that didn't make the cut for a mobile graphics card that's already three years old.

We don't expect anyone to pick up a GeForce GT 1010 for gaming. However, the Pascal-powered graphics card is a potential substitute for the lack of integrated graphics or a temporary replacement for a graphics card that suddenly gone bad. Or, if you need more video outputs for your system, the GeForce GT 1010 does provide two extra HDMI ports.

Zhiye Liu
RAM Reviewer and News Editor

Zhiye Liu is a Freelance News Writer at Tom’s Hardware US. Although he loves everything that’s hardware, he has a soft spot for CPUs, GPUs, and RAM.

  • scottsoapbox
    I think you mean chains not unchains for your title.
    Reply
  • KananX
    5700G destroys this… even the 5600G.
    Reply
  • missingxtension
    This is a slap in the face... It's not even useful for a home server. Even Amd is guilty of releasing stuff like this
    Reply
  • Rdslw
    KananX said:
    5700G destroys this… even the 5600G.
    point is not to be gaming card, but to revive liquid damaged or broken rigs to get something out.

    Imagine you had a flood and your whole rig was destoryed, but you had encrypted drives and there will be problem with passwords... GPU is dead and you had lets say ryzen 3600 so no IGPU, (or IGPU hdmi died as well)
    on board like that you dont connect your 3080ti but something that is disposable afterwards.
    those will propably end up in tinkers drawers for this kind of projects...
    Reply
  • Pollopesca
    Rdslw said:
    point is not to be gaming card, but to revive liquid damaged or broken rigs to get something out.

    Imagine you had a flood and your whole rig was destoryed, but you had encrypted drives and there will be problem with passwords... GPU is dead and you had lets say ryzen 3600 so no IGPU, (or IGPU hdmi died as well)
    on board like that you dont connect your 3080ti but something that is disposable afterwards.
    those will propably end up in tinkers drawers for this kind of projects...

    $70 for a disposable backup card? You could head to eBay or Goodwill and pickup literally any PCIe GPU after 2007 for that purpose for practically nothing. The only Use I see for this is CPUs lacking integrated graphics, or adding two more HDMI ports granting additional monitors for productivity.
    Reply
  • KananX
    Rdslw said:
    point is not to be gaming card, but to revive liquid damaged or broken rigs to get something out.

    Imagine you had a flood and your whole rig was destoryed, but you had encrypted drives and there will be problem with passwords... GPU is dead and you had lets say ryzen 3600 so no IGPU, (or IGPU hdmi died as well)
    on board like that you dont connect your 3080ti but something that is disposable afterwards.
    those will propably end up in tinkers drawers for this kind of projects...
    Yea my comment was in regards to what the article said. (Imagine actually reading articles and not just flying over them)
    Reply
  • AtrociKitty
    missingxtension said:
    This is a slap in the face... It's not even useful for a home server. Even Amd is guilty of releasing stuff like this
    Pollopesca said:
    $70 for a disposable backup card? You could head to eBay or Goodwill and pickup literally any PCIe GPU after 2007 for that purpose for practically nothing. The only Use I see for this is CPUs lacking integrated graphics, or adding two more HDMI ports granting additional monitors for productivity.
    This isn't meant for the regular consumer market, and it isn't meant to be a backup card either. It exists to serve a handful of niche cases were you simply need display outputs, and don't care about graphics performance beyond that. In a corporate environment, that can be supporting additional monitors, adding display output to something that has no iGPU, or maintaining legacy systems. In other environments, you might want this for digital signage or embedded applications. Gaming performance doesn't matter at all, it only needs to drive a monitor or two. And there's no reason to spend more on a better card if that's all you need.
    Reply