PSUs 101: A Detailed Look Into Power Supplies

Monitoring Integrated Circuits

The table below includes all popular monitoring integrated circuits (ICs) used in the secondary side of modern PSUs. These ICs handle all protections that we described earlier.

Model+12V Channels PGOVPUVPSCPOCPOPPOTP
GR8313-YYYYNNN
HY510N-YYY
(5/3.3V)
YNNN
UTC S35152YYYYYNN
PS1131YYY
(5/3.3V)
YNNN
PS113A1YYY
(5/3.3V)
YNNN
PS222S2YYYYYNN
PS2232YYYYYNY
PS2362YYYYYNN
PS2386YYYYYNN
PS231S3YYYYYNN
PS232F4YYYYYNN
PS232S4YYYYYNN
WT7502-YYY
(5/3.3V)
Y
(5/3.3V)
NNN
WT75051YYYYYNN
WT75073YYYYYNY
WT75184NNNYYNN
WT7518D2NNNYYNN
WT75201YNYYYNN
WT75252YNYYYNN
WT75272 (+1 OVD)YYYYYNN

As you can see from the table above, one of the most important protections (the OTP or Over-Temperature Protection) is only supported by two monitoring ICs, the SITI PS223 and the Weltrend WT7507. However, there are other ways to implement this protection and trigger one of the other protections in a monitoring IC, in order to shut down the PSU.

Create a new thread in the US Reviews comments forum about this subject
This thread is closed for comments
42 comments
Comment from the forums
    Your comment
  • Alexis Shaw
    In your list of top-tier capacitor manufacturers you missed out on some of the better american and european manufacturers, while these may not be used on many consumer-grade power supplies they are definitely top-tier and if you were to find them you would be happy. I suggest the addition of at least:
    Cornell Dubilier (USA)
    Illinois Capacitor (Now owned my Cornell Dubilier)
    Kemet Corporation (USA)
    ELNA (Japan)
    EPCOS (TDK company) (Germany)
    Vishay (USA)
    Würth Elektronik (Germany)
  • Aris_Mp
    Thank you very much for the list you provided. I am aware of almost all cap brands that you mentioned but unfortunately so far I found none of them inside a desktop/consumer grade PSU. I will think about it however (and also make a research on these cap brands), if I should include them as well inside my list.
  • InvalidError
    Anonymous said:
    Thank you very much for the list you provided. I am aware of almost all cap brands that you mentioned but unfortunately so far I found none of them inside a desktop/consumer grade PSU.

    There is a very high probability you have seen PSUs with several Kemet capacitors in them. You never noticed them simply because SMD capacitors are too small to carry logos, brand name or even value designations.

    The other brands are mostly found in specialty applications such as lab instruments, industrial machines and high-end audio.
  • Math Geek
    very interesting read. more in depth than i need to know yet for the most part understandable and with careful reading it did not leave me confused.

    nice article.
  • TallestJon96
    I only read 2/3 of it, but it's a good article.

    I basically have committed PC heresy with my cx600m. However I think that I'm in the clear with my 65w CPU and 145w CPU. I'd bet my total power draw is actually below 300w, the supposed highest efficiency point of a PSU.

    As a gamer, not a professional, I think it is better to get low power parts, and get a higher rating than you need, rather than get high power parts and high quality PSUs.

    Additionally, if you compare power consumption of a typical system from today to one from 5 years ago, power draw is considerably lower, with the exception of certain graphics cards. *cough* 390x *cough*
  • powernod
    I decided to sign up at Tom's forum, and the only reason was to state how excellent is Aris's article!!!
    Thanks Aris for this very useful article on behalf of us all who want to learn the basic knowledge for PSUs.
    Haven't finished it yet, but i'm very anxious for it !!!
  • GoZFast
    Very nice article!!! You made me remember my college physics courses lol
  • traumadisaster
    I'm glad there are people dedicated to this but I'm not. I can't even read all of the chapter titles in this article. I disagree with the importance you place on this and all of the references you made to this being crucial knowledge.

    PSU and MB are insignificant to me and I can blindly pick one by reviewing user comments from newegg in about 5 min, and it will last for years. For less than $100 each I'm set for nearly a decade.

    CPU and gfx card now that affects fps and is over $1000, actually the most important part to me.
  • Alexis Shaw
    Anonymous said:
    I'm glad there are people dedicated to this but I'm not. I can't even read all of the chapter titles in this article. I disagree with the importance you place on this and all of the references you made to this being crucial knowledge.

    PSU and MB are insignificant to me and I can blindly pick one by reviewing user comments from newegg in about 5 min, and it will last for years. For less than $100 each I'm set for nearly a decade.

    CPU and gfx card now that affects fps and is over $1000, actually the most important part to me.


    I heartily dissagree, user are not the best way to judge reliability, and a bad powersupply is at fult most of the time there is a hardware issue. Further a power supply should last more than one system build, and in general I keep mine for a decade at a time at least. So an investment in a good power supply is not a waste, and a bad one will kill that precious $1000 GPU or CPU. The demo dart power supply on the motherboard is a similar story, however in general they are of higher quality than a cheap mains supply.
  • Alexis Shaw
    Anonymous said:
    Anonymous said:
    Thank you very much for the list you provided. I am aware of almost all cap brands that you mentioned but unfortunately so far I found none of them inside a desktop/consumer grade PSU.

    There is a very high probability you have seen PSUs with several Kemet capacitors in them. You never noticed them simply because SMD capacitors are too small to carry logos, brand name or even value designations.

    The other brands are mostly found in specialty applications such as lab instruments, industrial machines and high-end audio.


    As well as SMT ceramic capacitors, Kemet makes through hole aluminium electrolytic capacitors. These are of high quality, though not as well known as their SMT capacitors. They also make high quality polymer SMT capacitors that are used as bulk capacitors on the power distribution circuitry on laptops and other devices.
  • ujaansona
    A concise and informative article, written with remarkable effort. As an instrumentation engineer I found it enchanting. Thank you Mr. Aris.
  • Brian Blair
    That's a monster of a PSU. But very very overpriced! I would much rather just buy a Seasonic at that price!
  • nukemaster
    Great writeup.
  • Aris_Mp
    Quote:
    In your list of top-tier capacitor manufacturers you missed out on some of the better american and european manufacturers, while these may not be used on many consumer-grade power supplies they are definitely top-tier and if you were to find them you would be happy. I suggest the addition of at least:
    Cornell Dubilier (USA)
    Illinois Capacitor (Now owned my Cornell Dubilier)
    Kemet Corporation (USA)
    ELNA (Japan)
    EPCOS (TDK company) (Germany)
    Vishay (USA)
    Würth Elektronik (Germany)


    Decide to include them in the article for reference and to show also that besides Japanese caps they are also some good US and German brands. Thanks again for your input!
  • hawkwindeb
    I was told there be no math questions...
    .
    LOL
    .
    Seriously though, very complete article
  • dstarr3
    Quote:
    I'm glad there are people dedicated to this but I'm not. I can't even read all of the chapter titles in this article. I disagree with the importance you place on this and all of the references you made to this being crucial knowledge.

    PSU and MB are insignificant to me and I can blindly pick one by reviewing user comments from newegg in about 5 min, and it will last for years. For less than $100 each I'm set for nearly a decade.

    CPU and gfx card now that affects fps and is over $1000, actually the most important part to me.



    You probably buy cheap hard drives, too.

    Enjoy your ticking time bomb. Because a cheap PSU and cheap motherboard is the quickest and surest way to a total system failure.
  • Quaddro
    Great article !!
    Toms should write more like this..
  • mctylr
    Quote:
    One or more bridge rectifiers fully correct the AC power stream after it passes the EMI/transient filter.


    You mean rectifies. A bridge rectifier converts the AC voltage into DC voltage.
    The name bridge, comes from being a bridge of four (power) diodes. ( image: Source: Play Hookey)
  • IWantDatHammer
    Finally a PSU article! :P
  • Aris_Mp
    I had it rectify and not "correct" but the proof editors changed it. Sorry will fix it ASAP. Of course they rectify and this is why they are called bridge rectifiers after all.