Interesting PSU Resources
Since this article barely scratches the surface of modern PSUs, if you want to learn more about SMPS design, below you will find a list with some interesting books on the subject. Be aware that you will need the proper electronics background to understand them all, but it's never too late to start learning!
- Gordon McComb and Earl Boysen: "Electronics for Dummies." Wiley Publishing, 2005 (ISBN 0-7645-7660-7).
- Keith H. Billings: "Switchmode Power Supply Handbook." McGraw-Hill, 1989 (ISBN 0-07-005330-8).
- Marty Brown: "Power Supply Cookbook." Newnes, 2001. (ISBN 0-7506-7329-X).
- Marty Brown: "Practical Switching Supply Design." Academic Press, 1990. (ISBN 0-12-137030-5).
- "Switch-Mode Power Supply Reference Manual," On Semiconductor, Rev.4, 2014
- Sanjaya Maniktala: "Switching Power Supplies from A to Z." Newnes, 2006. (ISBN 0-7506-7970-0).
- Sanjaya Maniktala: "Switching Power Supplies A-Z, Second Edition." Newnes, 2012. (ISBN 978-0-12-386533-5).
- ATX specifications 2.31 and 2.4 (Revision 1.31).
- "EPS12V Power Supply Design Guide Version 2.92."
In this article, we analyzed the operation of a complex system component, the SMPS/PSU, in order to offer useful information to all readers, even those who might not have an electronics background. Although we covered all major areas, admittedly it is far too difficult, if not impossible, to simplify such complex concepts in a single article, especially when referring to electronics design. Nevertheless, we hope we gave you a good idea of what is happening inside a PSU, which in our opinion is the most significant system component, since it powers all of the others.