Skip to main content

Nvidia Offers Batman: AO Free, Expands Shield Availability

Nvidia said on Friday that it is currently working closely with Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and WB Games Montréal in the development of Batman: Arkham Origins, which is schedule to launch worldwide on October 25. As part of that up-close-and-personal relationship, the publisher has given Nvidia the green light to offer the PC version free to customers who purchase a qualifying GPU.

"The Nvidia Developer Technology Team has been working closely with WB Games Montréal to incorporate an array of cutting-edge Nvidia gaming technologies including DirectX tessellation, Nvidia TXAA antialiasing, soft shadows and various Nvidia PhysX engine environmental effects, such as cloth, steam and snow," states Nvidia's Bryan Del Rizzo. "Combined, these technologies bring the intricately detailed worlds of Gotham to life."

Rizzo said that Nvidia will be unveiling a sneak peek of Batman: Arkham Origins at PAX Prime in Seattle, during the company's stage presentation at the Paramount Theater on Monday, Sept. 2. Additionally, attendees who purchase a qualified bundle from Nvidia's special kiosk will receive one out of a thousand free limited edition Batman lithographs handed out during the show.

Meanwhile, the qualifying GPUs for the Batman: Arkham Origins giveaway include the GTX 660, 660 TI, 670, 680, 760, 770 and 780 graphics cards, which can be purchased here in North America at these online retailers. The offer is good until January 31, 2014, Nvidia said.

In related news, Nvidia said that its Android-based handheld gaming console Shield just received an over-the-air update that enables some game and app files to be moved over to an SD card. The update also improves Miracast streaming, and adds additional PC games to its current roster of titles that can be streamed to the handheld from a Kepler-based desktop.

The company also announced that Shield is now available to purchase in 500 GameStop stores across the country. To find the latest location near you, tell Nvidia where you live after clicking this link.

Read our review of the Nvidia Shield.

Follow us @tomshardware, on Facebook and on Google+.

  • joaompp
    Unless the customer is concerned with power usage or performance per watt, this really isn't competitive with AMD's Reloaded program, other than the fact it's a newer game, which AMD will have come fall with their new GPUs
    Reply
  • jimmysmitty
    The thing I hate about PhysX is that it can all be done on software physics engines such as HavoK which is universal since NVidia doesn't like to let anyone else use PhysX unless its a all NVidia GPU system.

    That's just annoying.

    Either way already pre-ordered it on Steam and nothing NVidia has right now is worth the cost vs what I already have. I will wait till the next step instead of mostly rehashed stuff.
    Reply
  • edogawa
    11464549 said:
    The thing I hate about PhysX is that it can all be done on software physics engines such as HavoK which is universal since NVidia doesn't like to let anyone else use PhysX unless its a all NVidia GPU system.

    That's just annoying.

    Either way already pre-ordered it on Steam and nothing NVidia has right now is worth the cost vs what I already have. I will wait till the next step instead of mostly rehashed stuff.

    I see people complain about Physx being Nvidia only all the time, but that is business, you have to differentiate yourself from the competition and be competitive.
    Reply
  • tomfreak
    Kepler is irrelevant anymore since Console are all GCN optimized. Unless Next Gen console is an epic fail like Wii U, most console ported titles will be GCN optimized.
    Reply
  • beta212
    It's moving in the right direction, but still it's not all the AAA games you get with a radeon card, and considering BF4 will be an amd game... nvidia has to work harder.
    Reply
  • renz496
    11464795 said:
    Kepler is irrelevant anymore since Console are all GCN optimized. Unless Next Gen console is an epic fail like Wii U, most console ported titles will be GCN optimized.

    Why kepler irrelevant? It doesn't matter if the console is GCN based because in the end nvidia still work with developer for the pc version espcially on the driver side so the game will work properly with their hardware.
    Reply
  • renz496
    11464817 said:
    It's moving in the right direction, but still it's not all the AAA games you get with a radeon card, and considering BF4 will be an amd game... nvidia has to work harder.

    Is there problem for nvidia for BF4 to be gaming evolved title?
    Reply
  • jimmysmitty
    11464704 said:
    11464549 said:
    The thing I hate about PhysX is that it can all be done on software physics engines such as HavoK which is universal since NVidia doesn't like to let anyone else use PhysX unless its a all NVidia GPU system.

    That's just annoying.

    Either way already pre-ordered it on Steam and nothing NVidia has right now is worth the cost vs what I already have. I will wait till the next step instead of mostly rehashed stuff.

    I see people complain about Physx being Nvidia only all the time, but that is business, you have to differentiate yourself from the competition and be competitive.

    There is a difference between being competitive and being proprietary. If they were competitive then they wouldn't have killed the ability to have a AMD GPU as a main with a secondary NVidia GPU for PhysX nor would they have killed off the PhysX hardware in favor of it being used just on their GPUs only.

    That's not competitive as there is no other hardware based physics system out there. Its called monopolizing the industry.

    I happen to prefer Radeon as I have had better luck with them over GeForce. So why should I instead go with NVidia just for a simple perk that doesn't affect gameplay? I should be able to buy a low end NVidia GPU to throw in as a PhysX card or they should still produce PhysX hardware while the perk for having a NVidia GPU would be that you don't need the add-on card.

    Intel bought up HavoK a while ago yet I haven't seen them make it work only on Intel IGPs. That's a sign that NVidia did it wrong.

    11465528 said:
    11464817 said:
    It's moving in the right direction, but still it's not all the AAA games you get with a radeon card, and considering BF4 will be an amd game... nvidia has to work harder.

    Is there problem for nvidia for BF4 to be gaming evolved title?

    BF4 is going to be a "Gaming Evolved" title with AMD and is probably going to be part of the Never Settle bundle. Rumor is the Hawaii XT will be revealed this month in Hawaii and will probably be the HD 9000 series, or possibly a new naming series to go along with the BF4 release.
    Reply
  • renz496
    11469092 said:
    11464704 said:
    11464549 said:
    The thing I hate about PhysX is that it can all be done on software physics engines such as HavoK which is universal since NVidia doesn't like to let anyone else use PhysX unless its a all NVidia GPU system.

    That's just annoying.

    Either way already pre-ordered it on Steam and nothing NVidia has right now is worth the cost vs what I already have. I will wait till the next step instead of mostly rehashed stuff.

    I see people complain about Physx being Nvidia only all the time, but that is business, you have to differentiate yourself from the competition and be competitive.

    There is a difference between being competitive and being proprietary. If they were competitive then they wouldn't have killed the ability to have a AMD GPU as a main with a secondary NVidia GPU for PhysX nor would they have killed off the PhysX hardware in favor of it being used just on their GPUs only.

    That's not competitive as there is no other hardware based physics system out there. Its called monopolizing the industry.

    I happen to prefer Radeon as I have had better luck with them over GeForce. So why should I instead go with NVidia just for a simple perk that doesn't affect gameplay? I should be able to buy a low end NVidia GPU to throw in as a PhysX card or they should still produce PhysX hardware while the perk for having a NVidia GPU would be that you don't need the add-on card.

    Intel bought up HavoK a while ago yet I haven't seen them make it work only on Intel IGPs. That's a sign that NVidia did it wrong.

    11465528 said:
    11464817 said:
    It's moving in the right direction, but still it's not all the AAA games you get with a radeon card, and considering BF4 will be an amd game... nvidia has to work harder.

    Is there problem for nvidia for BF4 to be gaming evolved title?

    BF4 is going to be a "Gaming Evolved" title with AMD and is probably going to be part of the Never Settle bundle. Rumor is the Hawaii XT will be revealed this month in Hawaii and will probably be the HD 9000 series, or possibly a new naming series to go along with the BF4 release.

    IMO the decision to block physx is just to save themselves from trouble. and at some point a new conspiracy theory might rise up about how nvidia purposely crippling physx performance whenever amd gpu are present in the systewm :D . with that lock out people that still want amd + nvidia physx will be forced to use hacked driver. If something goes wrong they can't complain to nvidia about it.

    Also about havok on gpu. I know that ps 4 havok physics demo during the device unveil was done on the gpu. If intel was serious making havok to be accelerated by gpu why they did not work with ati and nvidia to help the havok FX initiative before? Why only now? If havok FX was successful we might not be in this situation right now.
    Reply
  • somebodyspecial
    NV doesn't have to work harder or give away as many free games as AMD. Their drivers WORK out of the box, which is why they have higher margins (near ~58% now), actual PROFITS and own 65% of the discrete market. How else do you explain the market share?

    I won't buy a card in the hopes that ONE DAY it will have good drivers for the games I play or the situations the card may be in (CF comes to mind, xp users have no fix yet, and eyefinity still has issues as does enduro). AMD has had almost two years to fix a problem they claim they never knew about (everyone knew about stuttering since multi-gpu came out). They only chose to do something about it seriously once NV cornered them on it. I also believe this would have never happened if they'd have spent the money for CONSOLES on PC's! So, not a lot of love for them these days as it pretty much looks like I'm forced to buy NV just to avoid driver issues. Free games mean nothing and I'll be done with them in weeks or months if I don't already own them. I have to live with your card for 3-4 years (well maybe I don't, but a good 2yrs at least) and the same for your drivers.

    Consoles had better sell in huge numbers or all AMD users can expect crap drivers for another gen or two. Note we're only on PHASE 1 so far of their driver fixes. How many phases do AMD users have to suffer through for nearly 2yr old cards? Consoles were a mistake, they should have spent it on PC's or at the very least MOBILE SOCS. They wouldn't have to give away 4+ games to compete and the gpu division might be making a profit. FYI those free games you love made AMD's GPU division make ZERO since they started this crap. You should all be complaining about the free games, as it's costing them R&D efforts (no money to spend on stuff) for drivers, new gpus and new cpus. All of which are suffering due to losses company wide, and breaking even in gpus (which actually made a little money PRE-FREE GAMES-but all gone now).

    @joaompp, if the customer wants better power, better heat, perf/watt and better drivers they go NV. Thanks for making the point. Translating your statement, if you want a better card & user experience, buy NV...But if your GPU isn't important take some free games from AMD instead. I'll take the best product always, no matter who makes it. Bundled crap means nothing to me.

    Also for the physx whiners, this is no different than AMD attempting to get games optimized via consoles for their hardware. That won't help NV owners will it? Though I think they're DOA anyway, this is the same thing basically. Everyone has to differentiate in some manner or why buy your stuff? Physx, Cuda etc helps sell NV cards. Sadly AMD doesn't have funding to come up with much special tech these days. When you have nothing special you give away free stuff or drop pricing until you make no profits. We're seeing AMD do both unfortunately.

    Kepler is far from irrelevant as its about to be sold in mobile socs in quantities GREATER than consoles. Consoles sell 10mil each per year (for their 7-8yr lifespan), though wiiu is way off that and I expect the same for xbox1/ps4 as mobile takes over this time.

    We will see more an more devs make html5, opengl, webgl, java etc games and NOT directx (gdc 2013 shows devs running to mobile in droves). Games already optimized for Kepler desktop will be partially optimized for kepler mobile in Q1 already, but I believe in greater numbers once they have a phone version out also with kepler tech (tablet version Q1 or so, phone one Q3 probably). I don't see consoles selling even 10mil each this time per year, but Kepler socs will sell over 20mil units next year.

    It's not anti-competitive to have special features for your hardware. I don't see Intel allowing every tom dick and harry company to make x86. You win one of two ways in business. Do something better than the other guy, or do something the other guy CAN'T do. Considering they are all competing with the same die size, materials etc limits, your best option is to come up with tech after tech that the other guy can't duplicate and get it as supported in your industry as you can. That is called a recipe for success (Wintel has had this for 20-30yrs). Office+windows+x86 made them both kings and of course R&D from both helps even more.

    http://bf4central.com/2013/04/battlefield-4-optimized-pc-graphic/
    Rest assured BF4 will run fine on NV hardware (as all other games do for both). Do people really buy a card for ONE game?...LOL. I plan on playing 100+ games over the life of my next card (most likely 20nm maxwell whenever it hits).
    "DICE’s Patrick Bach said in an interview that just like BF3, they are working with the likes of Nvidia and AMD to release special drivers just for Battlefield 4."

    Shocker...ROFL.
    Reply