Sandra's Arithmetic module demonstrate a Core i7 performance advantage in the new build that exceeds its clock difference. The costlier CPU also has more shared L3 cache, and Intel’s Hyper-Threading technology helps with utilization as well.
The new build slightly underperforms the old in one of Sandra’s Cryptography tests, but the difference is too small to cause concern.
The new build also has slightly less memory bandwidth, even at identical frequencies and primary timings. Eight-gigabyte modules are twice as dense as 4 GB modules, so the difference could be due to slower secondary timings.
- ITX And DTX: When Less (Space) Costs More (Money)
- Motherboard, Graphics, And CPU
- Case And Its Accessories
- CPU Cooling, Optical Drive, And Power
- DRAM, SSD, And Mass Storage
- Assembly Part 1: Finding The Right...Saw?
- Assembly Part 2: Now, For All Of The Parts That Fit...
- Assembly Part 3: The Finishing Touches
- Test Systems And Benchmarks
- Results: 3DMark And PCMark
- Results: SiSoftware Sandra
- Results: Battlefield 3 And F1 2012
- Results: Skyrim And Far Cry 3
- Results: Audio And Video Encoding
- Results: Adobe Creative Suite
- Results: Productivity
- Results: File Compression
- Power, Heat, And Efficiency
- I Fought The Law!