At the launch event, AMD finally announced Euro-prices for the Phenom line.
The AMD Phenom 9500 (2.20 GHz) will sell for only $248 (€169), while the Phenom 9600 (2.3 GHz) comes with a price tag of $279 (€190).
Taking a look at online stores reveals that the asking price there is about $118 higher than AMD's recommended price. However, bearing in mind that these same stores also still list the Phenom 9700 with 2.40 GHz - which has been pushed back to 2008 - we can expect to see prices drop rather quickly.
For reference, Intel sells its smallest quad-core CPU, the Intel Core 2 Q6600, which is also rated at a TDP of 95 W, for around $323. These prices are for the box versions.
Overpriced in the shops
Viewed from a price/performance perspective, we can say that at this price, AMD's processor offers about the same value for money as Intel's Q6600 quad-core part.
In a personal interview with Dave Everitt we found out that AMD is also planning a faster FX version of the Phenom CPU. Furthermore, he revealed that there will also be a quad-core CPU for the 4x4/Quad-FX platform, resulting in a dual-processor eight-core system.
- Top Model With Four Cores - AMD Phenom 9700
- The Phenom In Detail - A Revamped Athlon 64
- Technology I - Advanced Memory Prefetcher, SSE4a
- Technology II - Branch Prediction, Stack Counter
- Technology III - Virtualisation, L3-Cache, HTT 3.0
- Direct AMD Comparison - Phenom And Athlon X2
- Phenom - Models
- Phenom Caught A Processor Bug - Remembering The Pentium 60
- Overclocking - Still An Engineering Sample?
- Phenom Fits In Every Socket
- Cool'n'Quiet 2.0
- Cool'n'Quiet 2.0 In Detail
- Cool'n'Quiet 2.0 In Detail II
- Power Dissipation - No Reliable Data
- Core Voltage - Lowered To 1.2 Volts
- Chipsets - The Spider Platform
- AMD's Chipsets - 790FX, 790X And 770
- AMD Boards By MSI, Gigabyte And Asus
- Reaching 3.00 GHZ With AMD's OverDrive Utility
- Pricing - Phenom 9600 For $279
- Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Beats Phenom 9600
- Phenom 13.5% Slower Than Intel's Q6600
- Test Setup
- Software Configuration
- 3D Games - UT2004, Prey
- 3D Games - Quake 4, Warhammer
- 3D Games - Supreme Commander, Serious Sam 2
- 3D-Rendering - Cinema 4D, 3D-Studio Max
- Applications - AVG, WinRAR
- Applications - Photoshop, PDF
- Applications - Deep Fritz
- Audio Encoding - ITunes, Lame
- Synthetic - Sandra CPU
- Synthetic - Sandra Memory
- Synthetic - Sandra Multimedia
- Synthetic - PC-Mark
- Synthetic - 3D-Mark
- Video Encoding - Xvid, Pinnacle Studio
- Video Encoding - Premiere, Mainconcept
- Video Encoding - HDTV, DivX
- Video Encoding - CloneDVD
- Slower, But Cheaper Than Intel's Smallest Quad-Core