Our audio encoding benches show the Intel-based systems are off to a good start. iTunes seems to really prefer the Core 2 Duo over the Phenom II. The Lame results are incredibly close, however.
The tables turn with DivX, Xvid, and H.264 encoding. The Phenom II X2 550 takes a strong lead over the Intel systems. Not surprisingly, the CPUs seem to have a notable effect on the results, while the chipsets and motherboards don't seem to make much difference. Within the AMD systems, the GeForce 8200 board trails a little due to its slower DDR2 memory.
- 785G Northbridge And SB710 Southbridge Vital Statistics
- Features For The Home-Theater Crowd
- Radeon HD 4200 Enhancements
- Other 785G Goodies
- Hardware Choices, Setup, And Overclocking
- Test System And Benchmarks
- Benchmark Results: Synthetics
- Benchmark Results: Audio And Video Encoding
- Benchmark Results: 3D Rendering And Productivity
- Game Benchmarks: First-Person Shooters
- Game Benchmarks: Flight Sim And RTS
- HD Video Playback Benchmarks
- GPGPU Benchmark
- Power Usage Benchmark