At default settings, Supreme Commander favors the 8800 GTX SLI set from our March Marathon.
Increasing fidelity and turning on anti-aliasing results in only a tiny performance impact, with Supreme Commander still favoring the older graphics cards over the newer set. Both configurations are perfectly playable at the maximum resolution of most 24” displays.
UT3 also favors a pair of 8800 GTX graphics cards over the current 9800 GX2 SLI configuration, but again both solutions run well at all resolutions.
Warhammer puts the theory of 9800 GX2 SLI superiority to rest. We want our 8800 GTX set back, and could have easily bought three 8800 GTX graphics cards for the price of two 9800 GX2’s.
- Setting the High Mark?
- Processor: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650
- Motherboard: Asus Striker II Extreme
- Graphics: Two Gigabyte GeForce 9800 GX2
- Memory: Patriot Extreme Performance PDC34G1333LLK
- Hard Drives: Two Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ
- Audio: Asus Xonar DX
- CPU Cooling: Swiftech Liquid Cooling Components
- Case: Silverstone Temjin TJ09-BW
- Power Supply: Cooler Master RS-850-EMBA
- Test System Configuration
- Benchmark Settings
- 3D Games: Crysis, Prey
- Supreme Commander, UT3, Warhammer
- Audio, Video
- Synthetics, Continued