We expected today's graphics-heavy configuration to exert its authority in our game tests. However, we didn't expect to see that performance advantage at low resolutions.
Battlefield 3 is so GPU-constrained that we only see CPU bottlenecks surface on the SLI-equipped build, and even then only at 1920x1080 and below.
Gaming at Medium detail presets is alright. But the only way we were going to call today's machine a complete success was if it gave us playable frame rates at 5760x1080 using the Ultra quality preset. We’re pleased to see the new build pass a test that the original $2000 PC failed.
- Opening The Floodgates: 5760x1080 And More Graphics
- Budget Stretchers: The Motherboard And Power Supply
- Economizers: CPU, CPU Cooler, And RAM
- Breaking Point: Graphics Cards And Case
- SSD, Hard Drive, And Optical Drive
- Building Our Graphics-Oriented Beast
- CPU And GPU Overclocking
- Overclocked System and Benchmark Configurations
- Benchmark Results: 3DMark And PCMark
- Benchmark Results: SiSoftware Sandra
- Benchmark Results: Battlefield 3
- Benchmark Results: DiRT 3
- Benchmark Results: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Benchmark Results: Audio And Video Encoding
- Benchmark Results: Productivity
- Power, Heat, And Efficiency
- Which $2000 Machine Is Right For You?