UPDATE: Several months ago we ran the contest below. Due to circumstances beyond our control, we were unable to obtain the system promised, and consequently were not able to pick a winner in a timely manner. However, due to the good will given to us by the Tom's Hardware community, we've found a way to make up for it!
We have a $1300 Newegg gift card to give away to: jimslaid2, who posted this comment:
"Toms climbing in your window. Snatch your stories up.Trying to steal em' so you need to,
Hide your PC
Hide your Mac
Hide your PC
Hide your Mac
And hide your iPhone stories cus they're
There's a lot of Steve Jobs haters out there"
Congratulations to jimslaid2, who came up with the funny comment based on a very viral video.
/ TuanDirector, News Operations
So you've been reading Tom's Hardware and Tom's Guide for a while. You've gone through all the articles, looked through the charts, and even dabbled through the forums.
But for some reason, you've never posted a comment in any of the articles. The Tom's community is rapidly growing, and to celebrate its vibrant activity, we've gone to CyberPower and asked for a system to be given away!
The rules are fairly simple: sign up and post comments. If you're already signed up, you're eligible too! Unfortunately though, we can only include residents in the United States, except residents of Rhode Island.
After a few days, we'll look through the comments for smart and witty posters, and pick the best commenter. The lucky commenter will win the following Viper system from Cyberpower:
AZZA Hurricane 2000 Gaming Chassis
Intel Core i7-940 2.93 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366
Asetek 570LX Liquid Cooling system w/ 240MM Radiator and Dual Fans
24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive
INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer
1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Keyboard and Mouse
6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel
GigaByte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 Chipset
Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
Microsoft(r) Windows(r) 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)
800 Watts - Power Supply
Nividia GTX 460 video card
By submitting a comment, you certify that you have read the contest rules (listed below) and will abide by them.
And now for some rules, and regulations!
1. Eligibility: US (excluding RI) 18 years or older as of the entry dates stated below. Odds of winning depend on the number of entries received. No purchase necessary to enter or win. A purchase does not increase your odds of winning. Void where prohibited.
2. The official contest sponsors are CyberPower, 5175 Commerce Drive, Baldwin Park, CA 91706, and Bestofmedia LLC, USA (“Bestofmedia”), 9696 Culver Blvd., Suite 104, Culver City, CA 90232, USA.
3. In the event of a dispute as to any online entry, the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter will be deemed to be the participant. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. The contest is subject to federal, state, provincial, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited.
4. General Conditions : In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Contest is impaired in any way for any reason, including, but not limited to fraud, virus, or other technical problem, the Sponsors may, at their sole discretion, either (a) suspend the Contest to address the impairment and then resume the Contest in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules or (b) award the prizes according to the Judging Criteria from among the eligible entries received up to the time of the impairment. The Sponsors reserve the right in their sole discretion to disqualify any individual they find to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, the Sponsors reserve the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Failure by the Sponsors to enforce any provision of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
5. The Contest:
A. There will be one contest, which will run from August 30, 2010 (11:00 pm PDT) through September 3rd, 2010 (11:59 pm PDT).
B. Contestants must register for the contest by submitting comments on this article: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/cyberpower-core-i7-gaming-rig,11182.html.
C. There will be one contest winner.
D. Winners will be chosen by the editors.
F. There will be one prize, a CyberPower PC with the following components: AZZA Hurricane 2000 Gaming Chassis; Intel Core i7-940 2.93 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366; Asetek 570LX Liquid Cooling system w/ 240MM Radiator and Dual Fans; 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive; INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer; 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD; Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Keyboard and Mouse; 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory; GigaByte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 Chipset; Onboard Gigabit LAN Network; Microsoft(r) Windows(r) 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition); 800 Watt - Power Supply; Nividia GTX 460 video card
6. The approximate retail value of the CyberPower PC is $1300.
7. The PC and all components are shipped in working order. The Sponsors are not responsible for damage incurred (1) during shipping of prizes, (2) during assembly of prize components into working PCs by prize winners or their agents, (3) due to substitution of any components by prize winners or their agents.
8. The Sponsors are not responsible for any failure on the part of a potential winner to receive or respond to email indicating they have won the contest. If a potential winner does not respond within 3 days of notification, another potential winner will be chosen.
9. All prize winners are responsible for taxes and other surcharges on the prizes they win.
10. Requirements of a Potential Winner: Except where prohibited, a potential Winner may be required to sign and return an affidavit (or declaration) of eligibility and a liability/publicity release. In addition, a potential Winner may be required to sign a release in which he/she irrevocably assigns and transfers to the Sponsors any and all rights, title and interest in Entry, including, without limitation, all copyrights and trademark rights, and waives all moral rights in the Entry. Documents must be signed and returned to the Sponsor within three (3) days of being notified. If a potential Winner fails to sign and return the required documents within the required time period or is otherwise ineligible to receive the prize, an alternate entrant may be selected in his/her place according to the selection procedures set forth above.
11. Release and Limitations of Liability: By participating in the Contest, entrants agree to release and hold harmless CyberPower and Bestofmedia, other companies associated with promotion of the contest, and each of their subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, employees, and agents (the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Contest or receipt or use of any prize, including, but not limited to : (a) any technical errors that may prevent an entrant from submitting an entry ; (b) unauthorized human intervention in the Contest ; (c) printing errors ; (d) lost, late, postage-due, misdirected, or undeliverable mail ; (e) errors in the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries ; or (f) injury, death, or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Contest or receipt of any prize.
12. Participation in the Contest constitutes an entrant’s consent to the Sponsors’ use of his/her name, likeness, voice, opinions, biographical information, and state of residence for promotional purposes in any media without further payment or consideration.
also how come they dont show the cooling system off? that would be nice to see too. I mean you can see the tubing but it all leads to the 5.25" bays and there's no shot of the radiator to see how big it is. Oh and the water cooling tube going RIGHT over the power supply is a TAD scary if you ask me. one little pin hole in that tube and your system is toast unless youre using mineral oil or something to cool with of course.
Guess that leaves me out, heh