Battlefield 3's single-player campaign is typically limited by graphics performance. Given the dissimilar graphics cards we're using, it's actually really surprising to see our results so close together at this title's Medium quality preset. Once we step up to the more demanding Ultra settings, though, Nvidia's GeForce GTX 670 assumes a lead.
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Unlike Battlefield, Skyrim tends to be limited by processor performance rather than the graphics card.
At the High detail preset, this quarter's Intel-based build takes a notable lead. Using the Ultra preset with 8x MSAA, that advantage is maintained until 2560x1600, where the bottleneck shifts to the GPU.
- Building A PC: What Do We Get For $800?
- CPU, Motherboard, And Cooler
- Video Card, Power Supply, And Case
- Memory, Hard Drives, And Optical Drive
- System Assembly And Overclocking
- Test System And Benchmarks
- Results: Synthetics
- Results: Media Encoding
- Results: Rendering And Productivity
- Results: Adobe Creative Suite
- Results: Compression Tools
- Results: Battlefield 3 And The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Results: F1 2012 And Far Cry 3
- Power And Temperature
- When Does $800 Buy You More Than $1000?