Don and I run down to the wire in 7-Zip, with the $1600 PC’s performance exceeding its premium over the $1200 machine. Unfortunately for us, Paul’s entry-level $600 rig isn’t slow enough to offset Don’s comparatively doubled price.
The $1200 PC surges ahead in WinRAR, while the $1600 and $600 builds hit roughly the same chart scale as they did in 7-Zip.
WinZip mixes things up. I’m happy to see my $1600 PC performing nearly twice as well as the $1200 machine when using the program’s demanding “EZ” switch, but sad to see the $600 machine tied for second place. This will definitely hurt the value scores of both stepped-up configurations.
- A SBM Based On Reader Feedback
- How We Tested Our Q2 2014 SBM Builds
- Results: 3DMark And PCMark
- Results: SiSoftware Sandra
- Results: Battlefield 4
- Results: Grid 2
- Results: Arma 3
- Results: Far Cry 3
- Results: Audio And Video Encoding
- Results: Adobe Creative Suite
- Results: Productivity
- Results: File Compression
- Results: Power And Heat
- Results: Overall Performance And Efficiency
- Our System Builder Marathon, By The Numbers