Skip to main content

Best Of The Best, Part 1: Who Makes The Most Elite PC Case?

Inside The Blackhawk Ultra

Designed to support motherboards up to 15 inches wide (HPTX), the Blackhawk Ultra’s CPU bracket access hole is so large that it extends past the front edge of a mini-ITX board. Par for the course in oversized ATX cases, every ATX standard between those two extremes also fits (microATX, full ATX, XL-ATX, and so on).

Some of the cable access holes are enormous, and even the largest is fitted with a grommet. The similarly-huge hard drive cage includes ten trays with ample air space between them. A push-pull configuration of four fans is designed to move heat away from this area.

The Blackhawk Ultra doesn’t have a fan controller, but it does have a pair of fan power adapters. You only need a single four-pin hard drive connector to power both, since Rosewill patches them together with an extension cable.

The Blackhawk Ultra’s bottom panel is drilled for up to three fans of various sizes (up to 140 mm), but Rosewill only specifies it to hold one. That’s probably because at least one of the holes is covered by any bottom-mounted power supply, and switching power to the top bay forces builders to remove one of the top fans.

Fitted by Rosewill with two 230 mm fans, the top panel can also support up to three 140 mm or 120 mm fans. Though it probably doesn’t have space for a 3 x 140 mm radiator configuration, hole spacing is appropriate for triple 120 mm (so-called 360 mm) radiators.

The Blackhawk Ultra has ample space behind the motherboard tray for cables, but there’s a catch. Actually, there are several catches. Because the top and bottom edges of the side panels are lined with three slide-tab catches, and because the side panels are flexy, you might need four or more hands to get the panel back on. Any cables pushing back against the side panel will make the panel even more difficult to get into place.

  • blackmagnum
    Does elite mean most unattainable purchase prices?
    Reply
  • Crashman
    13332066 said:
    Does elite mean most unattainable purchase prices?
    We would have been happy if In Win could deliver that case for under $300. Unfortunately, I think the company budgets $300 of its $800 MSRP just for replacement glass and glass shipping.

    Reply
  • AndrewJacksonZA
    Oh please! What rubbish is this?!?! One can't abuse the word "elite" when talking about a case! It depends on the individual and each individual's needs and, perhaps most importantly, aesthetic taste!

    **go to heat and noise page and then the last page from the first page**
    I really don't have the inclination to read each - and - every - page in this article based on a piece of rubbish idea. Really Tom's, what on earth possessed you to do thi...**sees the picture of the In Win Tou**

    Hmmm...

    **reads to the In Win Tou pages**

    Wow. Ok, that case is quite the looker. Gee, that construction kinda justifies the stratospheric pricing. What a beautiful case! With some nice watercooling this case will be quiet AND cool AND cool-looking! I agree with you that this is the most elite, erm, showboat-iest case of these four!

    Thanks for making your readers aware of products that they would've otherwise missed Tom's! :-)
    Reply
  • samesdf
    Did Rosewill copy from CM 690 II Advance or the other way around?
    Reply
  • Shunrei
    Will wait for something from NZXT might miss something..
    Reply
  • Crashman
    13332113 said:
    Oh please! What rubbish is this?!?! One can't abuse the word "elite" when talking about a case! It depends on the individual and each individual's needs and, perhaps most importantly, aesthetic taste!

    **go to heat and noise page and then the last page from the first page**
    I really don't have the inclination to read each - and - every - page in this article based on a piece of rubbish idea. Really Tom's, what on earth possessed you to do thi...**sees the picture of the In Win Tou**

    Hmmm...

    **reads to the In Win Tou pages**

    Wow. Ok, that case is quite the looker. Gee, that construction kinda justifies the stratospheric pricing. What a beautiful case! With some nice watercooling this case will be quiet AND cool AND cool-looking! I agree with you that this is the most elite, erm, showboat-iest case of these four!

    Thanks for making your readers aware of products that they would've otherwise missed Tom's! :-)
    The article was actually conceived as a showcase for two different cases, one of which didn't show up and the other arrived late enough to be reserved for Part 2 of this 2-part series :)
    13332219 said:
    Did Rosewill copy from CM 690 II Advance or the other way around?
    Rosewill buys its cases...I'm not even certain it has a mechanical designer. Most other case brands design a case based on an existing case, so there's always the possibility of two different products coming from the same supplier and sharing some stampings.
    Reply
  • Mac266
    Sees cases. (Yeah, not to bad) Sees pricing. Sees Win Tou pricing. Picks jaw up off ground.
    Reply
  • weavermsi
    Dear lord that In Win thing is an abominable turd. The only case here with any pedigree is the Silverstone, and that's easily the ugliest object they've produced. Please, NZXT and Corsair, put us out of our misery.
    Reply
  • Memnarchon
    Since we are talking for the best of the best,... Where is the Silverstone's TJ11?
    Reply
  • Crashman
    13332524 said:
    Since we are talking for the best of the best,... Where is the Silverstone's TJ11?
    Great question, since they sent a cheaper model! It was probably neglected due to age.

    Reply