Skip to main content

Asus TUF Gaming VG289Q 4K Monitor Review: Ultra HD, Ultra Cheap

Asus’ VG289Q delivers 4K HDR and Adaptive-Sync for a super-low price.

Asus VG289Q Ultra HD HDR
Editor's Choice
(Image: © Asus)

Unless one has an unlimited budget for buying a PC monitor, there will always be some sort of compromise. Monitors like the Asus TUF Gaming VG289Q offer great bang for the buck at under $400 (as of this writing), but something has to give. The user must then decide what he or she can live without. 

An Ultra HD monitor for under $400 is clearly aimed at those who place pixel density at the top of their priority list. But unlike the preceding Asus PB287Q of nearly six years ago, the VG289Q is a true gaming monitor that will appeal to many. 

(Image credit: Asus)

Consulting the gaming monitor checklist, we can mark off high resolution, Adaptive-Sync, HDR and extended color. The VG289Q delivered those things as well as any premium-priced screen in our testing. But although it even delivers unofficial G-Sync support, as an edge-lit IPS monitor, contrast is just 1,000:1 and you don’t get much of an upgrade from SDR to HDR. 

While lower than some rivals, gamut coverage is a respectable 80% of DCI-P3. Some monitors offer more color, but the VG289Q’s palette is large enough to make a visible improvement over an sRGB display. Our only nitpick is that there’s no true sRGB mode available. 

A nice surprise is the ASCR dynamic contrast option. It made a subtle improvement to SDR content without clipping detail, and we recommend it for all SDR applications. We must also give kudos for color accuracy. In the default Racing mode, we recorded error levels lower than what many monitors produce after calibration. 

This screen delivers everything you need for satisfying gameplay in a 28-inch IPS panel for less than $400. A 27-inch 1440p monitor with a higher refresh rate sells for nearly twice as much. So, if you’re looking for the best value in 4K gaming right now, the Asus TUF Gaming VG289Q is it.

MORE: Best Gaming Monitors

MORE: How We Test Monitors

MORE: All Monitor Content

Christian Eberle
Christian Eberle is a Contributing Editor for Tom's Hardware US. He's a veteran reviewer of A/V equipment, specializing in monitors.
  • Kridian
    The Amazon reviews of this ASUS TUF VG289Q are brutal! Buyer beware.
    Reply
  • rsymartin27
    One thing I hope dies soon is dp 1.2, I mean why even if they just use 1.4 we can get Gsync nd hdr both on same port. They should clearly mention that HDR will work only on hdmi in these monitors. Nd HDMI does not support G. Sync.
    Reply
  • Phaaze88
    Kridian said:
    The Amazon reviews of this ASUS TUF VG289Q are brutal! Buyer beware.
    Yeah, longevity is something most reviews don't cover. That's something for us as the customers to discover...

    Speaking of longevity, those Enermax Liqtech coolers come to mind...
    Reply
  • Neuspeed
    Just buy a Pixio PX7 Prime for $399 and call it a day.. 2k IPS / 165 Hz / HDR / AMD free-sync / G-sync supported.
    Reply
  • Zorkiz
    This is a zero buyer's regret purchase for me! I'm not a gamer, I just needed the best 4K IPS monitor for extended use at a sensible price. I took a gamble and bought the VG289Q for CAD/Office use based on its specs before there were any in depth reviews such as this one. Based on my subjective observations, I think this is an accurate review of what I have found to be an excellent and reliable 4K monitor for work/general purpose use, which is particularly surprising given the price. It looks like Asus have chosen a good IPS panel here. It's all in the review, but some points to emphasise:

    flicker-free backlight
    good colour accuracy
    even backlight brightness distribution
    zero dead pixels
    IPS panel gives very good viewing angles
    blacks are good
    three year warranty
    superb stand - very solid and adujsts for height/tilt/rotation
    not noticed any IPS "glow"
    28" size
    modest price

    After about 500hours of operation there are no issues at all . BTW -if you look closely the Amazon reviews are actually for a mish-mash of similar Asus monitors.
    Reply
  • zainpk60
    Zorkiz said:
    This is a zero buyer's regret purchase for me! I'm not a gamer, I just needed the best 4K IPS monitor for extended use at a sensible price. I took a gamble and bought the VG289Q for CAD/Office use based on its specs before there were any in depth reviews such as this one. Based on my subjective observations, I think this is an accurate review of what I have found to be an excellent and reliable 4K monitor for work/general purpose use, which is particularly surprising given the price. It looks like Asus have chosen a good IPS panel here. It's all in the review, but some points to emphasise:

    flicker-free backlight
    good colour accuracy
    even backlight brightness distribution
    zero dead pixels
    IPS panel gives very good viewing angles
    blacks are good
    three year warranty
    superb stand - very solid and adujsts for height/tilt/rotation
    not noticed any IPS "glow"
    28" size
    modest price

    After about 500hours of operation there are no issues at all . BTW -if you look closely the Amazon reviews are actually for a mish-mash of similar Asus monitors.

    I am also about to buy this and yeah most of the reviews on Amazon are for different styles. But I will still ask you this just as a suggestion. Should I proceed to buy it like I am coming from a 24 inch 1080p so is the 4k amazing on this monitor and how about the HDR.
    Reply
  • Zorkiz
    Hi Zainpk60,

    I went from a Dell IPS 24" to this one and yes, I think you should find the 4K amazing! I really can't say how good the HDR effect is as it's something I don't bother with as this is mainly my work monitor. IMHO the Tom's HARDWARE review seems pretty much spot-on so I think you could safely go with their take on HDR. I seem to recall that the maximum brightness, while plently bright enough for most purposes, is not quite enough to do HDR really well.
    Reply
  • zainpk60
    Zorkiz said:
    Hi Zainpk60,

    I went from a Dell IPS 24" to this one and yes, I think you should find the 4K amazing! I really can't say how good the HDR effect is as it's something I don't bother with as this is mainly my work monitor. IMHO the Tom's HARDWARE review seems pretty much spot-on so I think you could safely go with their take on HDR. I seem to recall that the maximum brightness, while plently bright enough for most purposes, is not quite enough to do HDR really well.

    So do you think its worth the investment of £350.
    Reply