Converting an audio CD into MP3 or AAC format (for iTunes) is still a pretty popular usage model. All three drives showed the same performance at ripping audio. They took a bit less than three minutes to convert an entire 74-minute audio CD.
Seek time hasn’t changed much in recent years.
The same applies for double-layer media. Seeks take a bit longer, but the difference is negligible. Compared to hard drives (5 to 20 ms) and SSD (less than 1 ms) the seek times on optical drives seem like an eternity.
- Old Versus New: DVD Drives Compared
- Read And Write Speeds
- NEC ND-4570A (2005, 16x)
- Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7173A (2006, 18x)
- Sony Optiarc AD-7240S (2009, 24x)
- Comparison Table And Test Setup
- Benchmark Results: Audio Grabbing And Seek Performance
- Benchmark Results: Sequential Read Performance
- Benchmark Results: Write Performance
- Benchmark Results: DVD-5 Write Diagrams
- Benchmark Results: DVD-9 Write Diagrams
- Benchmark Results: Power Requirements