Samsung's 1TB 970 EVO Plus SSD Hits Lowest Price Ever

(Image credit: Tom's Hardware)

Samsung’s portable and SATA SSDs have both seen their prices drop lately, and now its M.2 SSDs are joining the deals list. Right now, you can buy the 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus for just $189.99. That’s $60 off its usual $249.99 price and will net you one of the best SSDs available right now. This deal’s also not limited to one store- it’s popping up at Newegg, Amazon and B&H.

The 1TB 970 EVO Plus has four lanes of PCIe 3.0 connectivity and uses NVMe 1.3. It also has 1GB of LPDDR4 memory and uses 3-bit per cell flash for storage. Like all M.2 2280 SSDs, it is 22mm long and 80mm wide. Notably, the 970 EVO Plus was Samsung’s first widely-available retails SSD with 9x layer flash.

1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus: was $259.99, now $189.99 @ Newegg
The 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus is an M.2 2280 SSD with 4 lanes of PCIe 3.0 connectivity and NVMe 1.3. It uses 3-bit per cell flash for storage and was also one of Samsung’s first widely available retail SSDs with 9x layer flash. This is the lowest price we've ever seen for this spacious drive.View Deal

Our Samsung 970 EVO Plus review clocked the SSD at 3,500 MBps for sequential reading and 3,300 MBps for sequential writing. Its PCMark8 score was 5,100, and its storage bandwidth reached 681 MBps. In November, this drive had some of the strongest write performance available, and at this price the value's only better.

As mentioned, $189.99 is currently the lowest price ever for the 970 EVO Plus, which is especially impressive given the recent NAND price spike that saw SSD prices ramp up. If that’s more storage than you need, the 250GB version of this component is also on sale for $69.99.

• Snyder24
    I actually used my Amazon Rewards credits to buy a 1TB 970 Evo Plus. 😂

I love that Amazon offers 5% back on all Amazon purchases!
  • watzupken
    I still don't feel that the price is attractive considering that competing products offering close performance are going for a lower price. Samsung have priced themselves out of the market essentially. This correction still don't seem enough to make it enticing.
  • Snyder24
    watzupken said:

I think it all depends. Samsung is still a brand known for premium quality and high performance.

Are there cheaper drives out there? Of course. But Samsung SSDs have great warranties, very good quality control, and awesome software to go along with it (Samsung Magician).
  • TCA_ChinChin
    Samsung has the mind-share in people who are familiar with memory and storage. People will willingly pay more for only slightly more performance, but for many, its completely worth it.
  • newton.derekt
    According to 3Camel, this was down to 1$49.95 last December.
  • CerianK
    Snyder24 said:
    I generally recommend Samsung now, but also push WD for budget.

Back when SSDs were still trying to get traction, I only recommended Intel due to their extra capacitors that would mitigate possible corruption during sudden power loss. Intel has obviously gone in a different direction now, so gets a strong recommendation when cost is no object and performance / reliability is paramount.
  • watzupken
    Snyder24 said:

Samsung's strength is their vertical integration. Basically they produce every part of the SSD, while others tend to need to buy NAND, RAM and other components to produce the SSD. This supposedly gives them an advantage in making the fastest drive since they create the hardware and the firmware to support it. However looking at other SSDs around, I don't think they are that far off in terms of performance. In fact, others have caught up with Samsung in terms of being more power efficient.

Now I am not sure what is your definition of "great warranty". They after sales service is generally just a good as any of their competitors which has nothing to do with their hardware expertise.
    Good quality wise, while this is true, I also did not observe any of my SSDs failing or performing subpar to my Samsung SSDs.
    As to Samsung Magician being an awesome software, that's debatable. The UI looks great, but I feel its like a bloatware in my opinion. Technically, you don't need any of these sorts of software installed for your SSD to work properly. You can use it to enable/ disable some added features, but chances of using it is very slim.