Since the introduction of the quad-core line, many shops have continued to list the Phenom 9700 with its clock speed of 2.4 GHz - despite the fact that AMD will only ship this model once the revised B3 stepping is ready for prime time.
Using a setting in the BIOS, it is possible to deactivate the translation of program addresses by the CPU in the L3 cache, effectively preventing the TLB bug from striking. While this does cost a bit of performance, it makes the CPU 100% crash proof. Many motherboard companies offer new BIOS versions that include this new feature. Gigabyte, for example, plays it safe with its newest BIOS revision, turning the TLB erratum fix on. We would recommend disabling this feature again after updating to a new BIOS, or your Phenom processor will take a performance hit.
Gigabyte TLB-Bios (F3)
AMD plans to release the error-free B3 stepping in mid-April, which will allow for higher clock speeds. Once this happens, the Phenom 9900, a 2.60 GHz part, will be the first of this new line of faster Phenom CPUs.
The TLB option in Gigabyte's F3 BIOS.
MSI also sent us a BIOS version containing the TLB bug option. Finally, AMD's OverDrive tool also sports an option to circumvent the TLB bug.
- AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition
- B2 Stepping - TLB Bug Is Still Around
- B2 Stepping - TLB Bug Is Still Around, Continued
- Phenom 9600 Black Edition
- Overclocking - AMD's OverDrive Badly Supported
- Overclocking - Newer Versions From Other Sources?
- Overclocking - AMD OverDrive Not Yet Mature
- Overclocking - AMD OverDrive Not Yet Mature, Continued
- Overlocking By 13.04% - 2.60 GHz
- Overclocking - Hitting The Limit At 2.70 GHz
- Overclocking - Hitting The Limit At 2.70 GHz, Continued
- Only 12.5% More Performance
- Slower Than Intel's Core 2 Quad Q6600
- Power Consumption - 21 Watts When Idle
- Power Consumption - 150 Watts When Overclocked
- Test Setup
- Software Configuration
- 3D Games - UT2004, Prey
- 3D Games - Quake 4, Warhammer
- 3D Games -Supreme Commander, Serious Sam 2
- 3D-Rendering - Cinema 4D, 3D-Studio Max
- Applications - AVG, WinRAR
- Applications - Photoshop, PDF
- Applications - Deep Fritz
- Audio Encoding - ITunes, Lame
- Synthetic - Sandra CPU
- Synthetic - Sandra Memory
- Synthetic - Sandra Multimedia
- Synthetic - PC-Mark
- Synthetic - 3DMark06
- Video Encoding - Xvid, Pinnacle Studio
- Video Encoding - Premiere, Mainconcept
- Video Encoding - HDTV, DivX
- Video Encoding - CloneDVD
- Conclusion - AMD's Phenom 9600 Can't Beat Intel's Q6600